UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

For the last 18 months I have been a consultant for a London

For the last 18 months I have been a consultant for a London based company where I invoiced £1000 per month. In April this year I received an email from the CEO in which he "authorised payment of invoices inclusive of expenses at no more than £3000 for May-July inclusive. As of today I have been dismissed. I have been told I will be paid £3000 for this month (June) but that I will be paid only £1000 for July. Does the April email constitute a binding contract? Can I demand full payment of the outstanding £3000 for July?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, the email of April from the CEO does not constitute a binding contract as it only says that invoices are authorised for payment up to a certain limit.

The invoices would need to be justified so you would only get paid for the work you have done up to termination of your services and any agreed payment thereafter.

If the email had said they would pay £3000 regardless, then it would be a different matter.

Sorry but I have a duty to advise you truthfully.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi JA and thank you. When you say 'any agreed payment thereafter' can I rightfully claim my £1000 for July? He says we had a month by month agreement but the intent was that I was a part of the team, I managed the marketing budget, set the annual schedule etc but had nothing to say I should receive pay in lieu of notice. He started this conversation saying he would take over my job himself from September, that he'd pay me to end July, only afterwards said he need not pay July at £1000 at all since the conversation has turned nasty.
If they have agreed to pay you the 1000 pounds for July, you should get that money.

If not, you may file a court claim against them at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All the best-please leave feedback