75100385

I own my own property and I pay full council tax for that property. My

Customer Question

I own my own property and I pay full council tax for that property.
My mother is sick and I have moved in on the basis to provide care and support due to her ill health.
Although I informed the council that I have moved in they advised that as I already pay full council tax that this would not affect my mothers entitlement to council tax support.
I have now received a letter from the council to advise that they have received information to state that I am living there and this is now being investigated and there is a possibility that we will be prosecuted.
How do I stand?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did they confirm the new position in writing please?
JACUSTOMER-sti09hi8- : Yes - aletter was sent to my mum confirming that an admin officer will be attending her property on the 23rd july '14
Alex Watts :

How much are they claiming the overpayment to be please?

JACUSTOMER-sti09hi8- : They javent mentioned that they have merely wrote to state that they have received informtation to state that i am living there - basically playing on the fact that i'm there and she has been claiming council tax support. What i'm tryingntoninderstand os was the original info cor rect? Should i have been paying double tax for both my own property and my mums
Alex Watts :

But they always knew you lived there? They confirmed this to you in writing?

JACUSTOMER-sti09hi8- :

I advised them that I was moving in with my mum to look after whilst her health was poor, this was done verbally over the phone.

Alex Watts :

Ok - if they have a record then it wont be a problem> I had assumed they confirmed in writing because of what you said above./

Alex Watts :

If you had moved in without telling them, then this may be an overpayment as your mum has to declare any chance in circumstance.

Alex Watts :

As you have moved in WITH telling them, this is not an offence and there is no overpayment

Alex Watts :

Your mum has to advise of any chance in circumstance

Alex Watts :

If they do not act upon it that is not your problem

Alex Watts :

So I would not worry, just make sure you have any paperwork to hand in the event of an interview

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-sti09hi8- :

I felt the answer was not detailed well, I paid at the higher rate, would have expected a more fuller bodied answer, the fact that there were also spelling mistakes doesn't really demonstrate attention to detail.

JACUSTOMER-sti09hi8- :

Wasn't money well spent at all - would not recommend and will not be using the website again