12826847

My friend and i have been joint tenants renting privately.

Customer Question

My friend and i have been joint tenants renting privately. We have been here a few years. We have a rolling contract which is renewed every year.
In the contract two months notice has to be given by landlord or tenants for leaving.
A married couple own and let this property. Last year i sensed something wasnt right, i asked for honest answers. And honestly they said ther are no worries concerning your tenancy.
This year the wife arrived to tell us they are divorcing and three other properties, family home etc had to be sorted out through the courts. She gave us a letter stating this and not to worry about our tenancy!!! and would we allow three seperate valuers around.
My flat mate got a text to sy her husband has got this flat, as off 8th july. Repairs have not been handling for at least a year. Doors that let exessive water in when it rains heavy!!!
Ive emailed the husband, and hes replied he doesnt know what he is going to be doing concerning this flat.
Do we have rights as we are long term tenants, and been kept sweet!!! we dont want to move. And to be honest its not convient this year!! Im in receipt of D.L.A indefiently.
Surely we have some say? could you please give me your expert advise, regards.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that under a Assured Shorthold Tenancy which is on a rolling contract (a periodic tenancy) you only ever have to be given two months notice by the landlord although regardless of what the original contract said, you only have to give one months notice.

The fact that you have been in the property for a length of time makes no different I am afraid.

I'm sorry of this is bad news for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even if in the letter she gave us.

It is neither of our intension to sell your tenanted property as the likely outcome of the financial settlement is that either one of us will become the sole owner rather than the joint owner of the property as is the present case.

This would not in any way affect your tenancy and you should not be alarmed or worried in any way.

Does that part of the letter from them both, not give us some rights?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you at least advice me that i should get a solicitor?

I'm sorry to say that he does not. Any agreement with regard to property must be in writing and signed by all the parties.

It shows intention but is not legally binding.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im sorry i cant leave a tip. Im not working due too health. !!

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem.

All the best.