UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am buying an apartment in a block which is currently under

I am buying an apartment in a block which is currently under construction now. In February when we reserved the apartment, we were told by the company (who had a glossy brochure displaying the choices of finish available) the building work was so far advanced that there was no longer a choice, and that they had gone to the 'default' specifications, which also happen to be the cheapest finish!

We were then informed in late May that the work was delayed and the 'current estimate' is now Jan/Feb 2015. So far, the external brickwork has only reached the third floor of eight. I believe the company must have known how far behind the work was in February and that there never was a choice. Is this practice illegal, and what would it be termed as?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I believe the legal term you are looking for is "fraudulent misrepresentation" which is unlawful and which you can read about here

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/misrepresentation-act-1967

Hope this helps