12826847

What of time do I need to keep documentation relating

What period of time do I need to keep documentation relating to Deceased Estates.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was the Executor for both my mother in law and also my husband. All bequests have been paid both wills have been carried out to the letter, I have receipts, probate papers, House sale and everything is in order and finished. I need to know when I can dispose of all the documentation relating to the two separate estates. They died within two days of each other, mother in law first.

They both died 5 years ao in March 2009.

There is no statutory period and solicitors have to keep documents for six years at least.

My advice in this particular case would be to keep them for double that.

Is there a particular problem that you are anticipating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My problem is that I am in poor health and 75 years old. I do not wish to leave a pile of useless documents for my son to wade through and decide what to do with them. The documents I refer to are acknowledgements of monies paid to settle the estates, etc. i.e. funereal costs energy bills old bank account statements, probate costs, capital gains tax receipts, etc. All documents have been sent to me by the solicitor dealing with these estates is it possible to thin them out.

I had been told that five years was sufficient but needed confirmation that this was correct. Please reply a.s.a.p. Many thanks

Remember that you were not keeping the documents for other people.

You are keeping them to yourself because of any of the other beneficiaries decide that they want to query or contest what you have done, these provide the proof you have to rebut any allegations they may make.

I would certainly keep them for six years which is the same period of time that a solicitor would keep them for.

I cannot advise you what you should keep or what you should not keep what a solicitor would have disposed of everything after six years apart from any title deeds or original wills of course. Obviously also keep the grant of probate with the will attached.