UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

What length in time would i need to transfer my house to my

Customer Question

What length in time would i need to transfer my house to my doughters in joint ownership to exclude it from care home fees to the local authority .
i am 76 and in good health and thinking about the future
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If you are deliberately signing over your property to your children to avoid care home fees, then the local authority has the power to force your children to sell the property to pay for your fees.

If you do this more than 2 years before you go into care, it is less likely that the transaction will be challenged, if you do so within 6 months, it will be challenged.

So, if you go into care say 11 years after you sign over the property to your children and there is no intention of doing so simply to avoid care fees, the council is less likely to challenge it.

May I help further?