29905560

I have received two conflicting offers in regard to my redundancy

Customer Question

I have received two conflicting offers in regard to my redundancy and would like to challenge. Can you advise please.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in a bit more detail?

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

Hi Ben

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

You helped me with a very similar problem 18 months ago! My husband is being made redundant - and there's a conflict between what he was originally offered and what has since transpired:

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

Letter of 28th May states:

“You would however be entitled to your contractual notice period of three months.

In order to give you the best opportunity to secure alternative employment you would not be required to work your notice period. You would therefore receive your notice period in lieu and you would also be entitled to be paid for any accrued untaken annual leave up to your last working day.”

Meeting of 5th June

Agreed - holiday would be calculated from 1st day of employment - and compromise on total amount sue would be reached.

Employer asked if I would work ‘a couple of weeks’ to help them out while they found a replacement.

Letter of 11th June (actually delivered by hand on 18th June) states:

“It is unlikely that you will be required to work all of your notice period however I appreciate that you would prefer to have a fixed date on when you can accept new employment from and to that end I can confirm that you will be released from your notice obligations on 31 July 2013. The remainder of your notice period will be paid in lieu.”

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

I have the two letters mentioned above scanned to my computer if you would like to see the originals

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

Some more information:

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

- My husband has been with the company for less than two years

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

- They are per suing this as a redundancy - although they are in fact not making the role redundant - they are simply hiring a cheaper head chef

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

- I need to respond to this letter asap - as they say on the letter of 11th June that I have 5 days to challenge - but they only gave me the letter on 18th June.

JACUSTOMER-eqfq0xxp- :

- If you need to contact me there is a delay in my emails (up to 2 hours) - if you are able to text me instead I can respond immediately - my mobile number is ***** XXXXXX - thanks

Ben Jones :

Hi, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. We can only communicate via this chat I’m afraid so it would have to be on here. Just to clarify, what are the issues as you see them here – what was his initial understanding of his rights and how has that changed? What would he prefer happens here?