Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have bought a "vacant on completion" flat and it has completed

I have bought a "vacant on completion" flat and it has completed and been registered in my name as the owner on the land registry. I have been living in it and have been given the keys since the completion date on the 29th of May as the solicitor and estate agent said I could move in now.

I have however not signed a lease yet and the previous person still seems to be down on the land registry as having signed it. I hope that's clear. The solicitor said they where working on it when I asked about it on the day of completion and it was not ready but I could still move in.

What are my rights? Can the other person that previously signed the lease still vote to do work on the flats at my cost?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Unless the Flat is brand new, a Buyer would not have to sign a Lease, in that you take over the existing Lease which the first Buyer would have signed when the Lease was first granted (and when the Flat was sold for the first time by the Developer).
Likewise, on the Land Registry copy Deeds, it will show this Lease.
Your name, however, should be showing as the registered owner in the Proprietorship Register. If it is, then you have nothing to worry about.

Even if there is some paperwork outstanding (and please let me know if the above doesn't assist you), as you have completed, you and you alone are entitled to occupy the Flat and entitled to vote.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much that cleared that up for me.

so unless I change the terms of the current lease I would not have to sign a new lease. Thanks

Unless it is a brand new Flat, a Lease will already be in place, so you are correct- there won't be any need for you to sign a new Lease.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
AL