29905560

We are a Social club with a snooker room that has a number

We are a Social club with a snooker room that has a number of abandoned/unclaimed snooker cues. We posted notices 2 months ago to the effect that if Members didn't claim their or their relatives' cues, then they would be put up for auction to benefit Club funds. Have we followed the legal requirements?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you give a time period for claiming them back?
Customer:

We set the date to 'on or before 20th June 2014' - the notices were posted in April

Ben Jones :

you have done all you can from a legal perspective here. Usually you would be required to post a notice to the members prompting them to come forward and claim their property or advice them that it will be removed, whether sold, given away or destroyed. You would then give them at least a month to do so before you take any action. In the circumstances you have followed these steps so if they have not claimed their property back in the given time period you can go ahead and sell them