75100385

Hello there, Can you tell me if there is a law that can be

Hello there,
Can you tell me if there is a law that can be brought into force in a case of adult bullying and whether there is a legal way to bring a bully or bullies to be questioned?

Beth Dismore
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Could you explain the history in a little more detail?

Customer:

I knew the group of people for around 2 and 1/2 years and had thought them friends, they invited me into their houses and introduced me to their children.

Alex Hughes :

And they don't want to be friends with you any more?

Alex Hughes :

Are you saying you are being bullied because they are ignoring you?

Customer:

more than that i'm afraid. We are not friends and have not been for five years now. No. I was bullied , by being called a a sad, lonely, childish, little girl, with a spackie arm, who was fixated with a man, a dirty ,unsuitable, and lying adulterer who could go back to the little world i came from.

Alex Hughes :

If these people have been pursuing a course of conduct which is causing you distress then you could ask the police to investigate them for harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. If this behaviour is continuing you could seek an injunction and compensation for the distress you have suffered.

Alex Hughes :

There may be additional laws that come into play. But this seems to me to be the most appropriate.

Customer:

the man who called me most of these things said that if i tried to write to him about this he would end up taking his life, leaving his 16 daughter fatherless and , was using his daughter as an emotional blackmail tool . I have also threatened that it would be spread around that i have made this whole story up to spite this man after he rejected me

Alex Hughes :

OK. So the solution seems to be not to contact him.

Customer:

emotional blackmail is abuse , bullying is abuse, this man and his family are abusers and they should not call some with cerebal palsy a "spackie" , my question was , can i prosecute them for that?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
As I mentioned earlier the crime is harassment and the law is Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Our conversation ended without having a proper explanation of the harassment .. As I am not being harassed now , this series of incidents happened 5 years ago ..and I have seen none of them since .. I have written to these people to ask for apologies and I am trying to ascertain whether I can legally request a meeting with them , with impartial witnesses present to ask them for answers as to why , they felt it neccassary and due apologies . I guess there isn't ???
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

What is it you would like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As above , I have not received apologies from these people for using emotional blackmail , bullying , intimidation , gas lighting and open ended threats in an attempt to control me. I have left there lives and I do not want to prosecute them or penalise them , I simply want to meet them to ask my questions , recurve my answers and my apologies, preferably public apologies , with an assurance , they will never speak or treat me or anyone else. With the same disrespect again.
Do you want to take them to court if they refuse to meet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not really , Firstly I am a pacifist and I care about the children/family of these people who's lives would be turned upside down by this . Secondly , I am already hated by them and don't want to he hated by the people who would support them against me, thirdly I haven't got any proof that any of this has happened and they are likely to be very convincing that I'm just a a mad woman , I am still scared of them and although in reality not likely to meet them otherwise; to me it's a question of my human right and the principle that this kind of behaviour is abusive/wrong and should be held accountable . I want to face my fears ; my fears will not face me . I presume no legal thing exists and I must just live with my fear ?
Ok. The problem is if you don't want to take them to court, you can't really do anything.

How do you want to move this forward?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had thought I wouldn't actually be able to bring them to court at all . Thank you for taking the time to listen to the situation thoroughly, if it had been as simple as not writing to these people I wouldn't have left it alone 5 years ago. The only thing I had was the countless emails I have sent them that have gone unanswered and most of them I have deleted from my computer . They may have copies still . I must decide whether to bring a charge against them or not then , If I did take them to court what charge would it be? I will have to think further before taking it forward.
You could ask a solicitor to write. If you are bring harassed you could seek an injunction in the county court that they don't contact you.

Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I think that's all you can do , thank you . If I decide to proceed , I will contact citizens advice or my local solicitor .
Ok. If I could Invite you to rate my answer before you go today.

Good luck,

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience