Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

i have been in work since 8am and early this afternoon i recieved

Customer Question

i have been in work since 8am and early this afternoon i recieved a call on the work landline from the police saying they had raided my home as they had a warrant due to a tip off i was growing cannabis. they repaired my lock and dropped new keys off at my work place but i wasnt informed beforehand. stupidly of me i didnt ask for id or to see the warrant.

is this right?

many thanks

tara
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Have you or anyone in your household been in any trouble with the police in the past?

Customer :

yes I was a few years back?

Customer :

but it was nothing to do with drugs

Alex Hughes :

Anything for drugs? I mean is there any reason the police may think you're involved in dugs?

Alex Hughes :

Drugs I meant.

Customer :

no nothing at all, and when the police gave me my new set of keys they said it was because of a tip off

Alex Hughes :

The police can only enter and search your home if they have a warrant issued by the Magistrates Court. The Magistrates decide whether the information (the "tip off") is sufficient to justify granting a warrant. Where a warrant is granted it is very difficult to stop the police conducting a search. However, if you have suffered any damage or loss you can mske a complaint against thr police and claim damages.