12826847

Hello. Was in a music store with the cash to buy a keyboard

Customer Question

Hello. Was in a music store with the cash to buy a keyboard or an equivalent ex demo one. I took in a bin liner in case I bought an ex demo one, after asking the staff to demonstrate a couple for me (and being ignored for other customers) I took a keyboard of its stand and left it on the floor with the bag and walked out. Two weeks later a policeman called and interviewed me under caution at a station insinuating there was a charge of 'suspicion of theft'. They left it on Friday, that they would study the cctv more and get back to me. I told them what I told you today. Should I worry? Thank you.

This is obviously something you should take seriously.

On your accounts, there is no theft.

I imagine that the store have made made some allegation amounting to theft. Whether or not they will act against you depends upon which version of events is preferred. If the CCTV proves incontrovertibly that your version of events is correct then you should not be charged.

I don't know whether or not they were alleging an attempted theft in that you tried to place the keyboard in the bag. Difficult to say really. I'm not sure they would charge you with attempt alone. Its very difficult to prove and you could always elect Crown Court trial which would be very expensive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suffer from chronic depression and have attempted suicide five years ago. Am on medication. Am not sure whether the keyboard was put in the bad (to spite them) as no one would serve me (they weren't busy). I'm a full time carer to my disabled mother and the act was one of frustration. If I did put it in the bag, am I in trouble as it was just on the floor feet from the stand? When officer came around on Thursday, he said it would be a friendly chat with pictures of the cctv. There was no pictorial evidence when I attended. And was put under caution. I am extremely stressed.

If it was put in the bag then they could argue that is an act amounting to theft. The fact that they got the keyboard back doesn't mean there wasn't a theft.

Although if you voluntarily left the bag there then you could argue that you withdraw from the crime.

I'm not sure they would prosecute anything that complicated.

They would only prosecute if the allegation were that you left the items there because they saw you and tried to stop you.