13262538

I am dating a man who tells me his ex only allows him to see

I am dating a man who tells me his ex only allows him to see his son for five hours on a Sunday. This is unbearable for him and I wondered if I could allieviate the pain a little by finding out if there are any routes open to him so he might be able to see his son more.  He tells me she has said he can see his son whenever he wants but then when he asks to take him out or visit him she invariably says her son has an activity to go to or a party.  She is also abusive towards him verbally.  He is also worried about a potential new partner in her life playing the father role.

How old is the child and how long have he and his ex been separated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

His son is five/five and a half and they have been separated for four years now but were never married.

Does he see the child every Sunday - and what steps has he taken so far to try and extend his contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been separated for four years but they got back together a year ago for a short period of time. He sees his son most Sundays but has not taken any formal steps to extend his contact.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Your friend needs to discuss the matter of contact with his ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to set up a regular pattern - which may include overnight contact.
If this is not successful then he can apply to the courts for a Child Arrangement Order dealing with the issue.
He can read more here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details