Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I received my vodaphone bill this month which was normally

I received my vodaphone bill this month which was normally around £22 but this time it was Nearly £190. There were two calls to a number for around 1 hour each which i never made. the number is *********** which turns out to be in Cyprus and is a common complaint on the internet about this number for nuisance calls and high bills.

Vodaphone is saying i made these calls, I certainly did not. What do I do

Was the phone in your possession throughout?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The phone was with me at all times, the two calls were placed on the morning of the 31st of May, at this time i was on a tractor in the middle of a field.

I would never have placed these calls, although I do remember getting a couple of calls that morning but no one was there when I answered.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but how could this show on your phone record unless the calls had been made?

The information regarding what calls have been made is taken directly from cell site data. There's no way a number can be active on two sim cards so any calls MUST have been made from that particular device. Some companies do have the facility to make calls that charge you when you answer I think, but that would show on your bill as a received call charge and not one that was made.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry but this is what is my problem is as I did not and would not have made those calls and certainly would not have stayed on the phone for the period shown,but as it is an international number it seems I have been told i would have been charged for receiving it but its not shown as such.

There were two more calls from this number on the 9th of June inbound which I did not answer.

I feel that I have been scammed in some way but not sure how it was done and this is what i am concerned about as I cannot afford to pay this bill.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you are adamant that you have been the victim and are sure the evidence proves this then I would suggest the following:
- Write to Vodafone and say you are extemely disappointed that as a loyal customer they will not investigate or take your claim seriously;
- Say that if they do not properly investigate the claim you have made within the next 7 days you reserve the right to:
(i) Report the matter to trading standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/; and
(ii) Make a complaint to their regulator OfCom - www.ofcom.org.uk/

If you really have been defrauded and they wont take your claim seriously then TRading Standards will have the power to sanction them it may just take a little bit of time.

Can I be of any further assistance?

AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE