12826847

Weve applied for a shotgun licence. The Police Officer c

We've applied for a shotgun licence. The Police Officer c alled to fill in more forms and details with us. When he finished he said he was happy with us and went away leaving us to buy a gun cabinet and seperate ammo container., both of which we've bought and secured to the wall of the property.
I've always lived in the US and am British, my partner who also applied the same time is from Cyprus but is now a British Citizen with a British Passport. {we've sent the Police Officer the relevent doc's to prove this}
My partner's cousin is a Cypriot whose lived here 3 years.

The Police Officer said the next thing would be he'd call to inspect the cabinets to ensure they were acceptable., that's in our house and in the partner's cousins house. He said he'd bring the official gun licences for the 3 of us with him when he makes the inspection.

Now, 6 days ago he's emailed me saying he's sent us consent forms for my partner and his cousin to sign {which we haven't received} for Interpol to check their backgrounds in Cyprus.

We can understand possibly the need to check with the cousin, but why do they need to do this for my partner? He's lived in this country for over 9 years and I thought now had all the rights of a British Citizen.

Should this need to be done for my partner, as a British Citizen, before they can allow him a shotgun licence ?
I thought he now enjoyed the same rights and privileges as I do

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but is there any reason you think they shouldn't check his background? I realise he has been in the UK sometime but if he had lived in the UK throughout they would do a check upon that too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There's no reason they shouldn't check, except that we're waiting for our certificates and all of this is taking extra time {we've already been 3 months waiting}. PLUS, if he is a British Citizen, why should they check him?? They have already checked all his background in the UK from when he came here 9 years ago, so they have the UK check done

Whether he is a British citizen or not is a non issue.

The issue is whether he is a fit and proper person to hold a shotgun licence. Nobody has a right in the UK to hold a shotgun licence. In fact, the application is a very high test.

If he were a British citizen checks would have been done upon his PNC records up to enhanced standard.

All they are seeking to do is perform the same checks in Cyprus which seems reasonable in the circumstances.

The checks to allow him to enter are a different level and, in any event, the courts have to satisfy themselves of his character rather than rely on the Home Office.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.