29905560

How long is a cheque valid and how long do I have to pay in

Customer Question

How long is a cheque valid and how long do I have to pay in a cheque to natwest and Barclays . Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Cheques are valid for as long as the debt between the parties exists. In other words this means that they do not have an expiration date as such. Nevertheless, banks have their own rules which can stop a cheque being presented for payment after a certain period has elapsed. Usually this period would be 6 months and this is done on the basis that they are protecting the payer, in the event that payment has already been made via another method. It would then be for the person trying to cash the cheque to request a new one from the payer and return or destroy the old one. If they refuse to issue a new cheque or pay the debt by other means, the person who is due the payment could potentially take the matter further, for example through the county court if they were going to pursue the payer for breach of contract.

JACUSTOMER-77f71y44- : Hi
Ben Jones : Hi did you intend to type anything else?
Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks