How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a question about applying to vary a sopo, on behalf

Resolved Question:

I have a question about applying to vary a sopo, on behalf of my partner.
He is currently on year five of a seven year sopo. The conditions state the he cannot be left unsupervised with anyone under the age of 16, nor can he own/possess any device "capable of accessing indecent images".

He is finding it near impossible to perform an employment search. Further, he had to turn down a recent work from home job opportunity because he cannot own a computer.

He has never broken any of his conditions.

He has spoken with a police officer from the sex offenders dept and they apparently said that if he were to apply to vary, they would "offer no resistance".

Please, how does he apply to vary the order? Can he do this himself? Can he get legal aid?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Does he stay in England or Scotland?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

England. He was sentenced in England too.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** has come through to Scots law. I will transfer you. Do not respond to this message. Your question will be automatically transferred and an English expert will be with you shortly.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Is this the only variation he would like to make please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I know, yes.


He would like to be able to own a computer for use at home and to able to use a computer at work, when/if the situation arises. As it stands, he can do neither.


His offence was related to downloading indecent images of children. No contact offence took place.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Its easy enough to apply to vary. You just call the issuing court and get it listed for an application.

CPS are entitled to notice of your intention to make an application and should be given a written variation application in advance although unrepresented people are not expected to comply with the rules to the letter and, in fairness, if the supervising officer does not object then you could argue they have had notice.

There is nothing difficult about making the application.

This is a very onerous condition which might well interfere with his Art 8 rights so its worth applying.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called the court on his behalf this afternoon.

I was told that he had to write a letter, addressed to the "listing officer", stating that he would like the court to vary his sopo conditions.

If he is representing himself, would that initial letter of request be sufficient to set the wheels in motion, or would he have to notify the cps?

Is there usually a hearing if the police will not offer resistance?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Its a good idea to send a copy to CPS.

All you need to set down is that you want it listed for an application to vary and include some detail over what variation you seek. That isn't needed for the listing officer but it is for CPS.

There is a hearing. Its an order of the court and must be varied by means a hearing.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice