Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Im in the uk, i own an electrical firm, ive recently done

Customer Question

Im in the uk, i own an electrical firm, i've recently done a restaurant install and the client isn't paying the full amount only 5k of 19k, its over due by 2 months, i have the keys and security code and cctv password.

If i were to enter the premises and lock off the supply to the electrics how much trouble would i be in? could he sue me for losses if i did it a friday morning?

Also the supply needs upgrading which they havent done, it states this on the certificate, "supply needs upgrading, current supply is only temporary" so i could say im doing it for this reason ie safety. The new supply is going to cost them 20k! ive issued a danger notice from the NICEIC.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Why are they refusing to pay the additional £14k?

Have you invoiced for all the work?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They aren't refusing, they are staying they cant pay now and will pay in instalments ie 5k every week, they've paid the first 2 fridays ago and missed this one and ignoring calls and email now.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

I would not recommend exercise a lien over the equipment, if you do that they wont be able to trade and you are less likely to get your money back.

Do you have any terms and conditions signed with them?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just what was agreed at the start of the job ie 15 day after invoice date, then it was changed to 30 days etc

i know its not the best idea just want to know what action could be taken against me.

I could say they refused to upgrade the power which is required

i dont want to be responsible for deaths of the general public.

Ive issued a certificate stating this and issued a danger notice to the client.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Firstly the temporary nature of the work is a different issue, if the work is a danger to the public and you are responsible for it, then I would go and carry out the work regardless. If some is injured the consequences are likely to be far worse than you being sued. How much is this work going to cost?

Secondly if they do not dispute the money is owing, I would serve them with a statutory demand - https://www.gov.uk/statutory-demands/overview
This will put massive pressure on them to pay, because if they do not pay within 21 days , you would be entitled to petition for their bankruptcy.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ