12826847

Hi There. Have just received a Speeding Fine of

Customer Question

Hi There.
Have just received a Speeding Fine of £100.00, my first ever . I was caught doing 69 MPh on the A303 Illminster By Pass in Somerset. It is a Dual carrigeway, that every other mile changes into single track carriageway. The fine states that i was in a 60 MPH limit area, yet the limit for a Dual Carriageway is 70 MPH. having looked up this stretch of road Online, the speed limits have caused motorists like myself, a lot of confusion. Is there any point in contesting the fine. I live in Surrey, was on hols to Cornwall so a Court visit is out of the question. what wouild you advise me do do ?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do you deny that you were speeding please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. No I was doing 69 MPH but thought I was in a 70 MPH area.

Were there signs at the location in question of the speed limit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can only remember National speed limit signs

Were you driving a standard car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I was

I am not immediately sure why this should be a 60 mph zone. If this is a dual carriageway without any reductions that were signed and yo uwere driving a standard car then the speed should be 70 mph.

Of course, that does depend upon this being a two way stretch of road with a central reservation down the middle.

if this was a single file lane or there was no central reservation then the speed limit would have been 60 mph zone.

In terms of contesting the fine, the short answer is that it depends. If this is a reduced section then they do have to show that the signs were adequate. If its a section reduced by the layout of the road then they don't need to have any accompanying signs.

You can always wait to see if they summons you. Quite often they do forget.

If they are wrong and this is a 70 mph zone then its definitely worth contesting this.