13262538

My university were late providing me funding for me to to attend

Customer Question

My university were late providing me funding for me to to attend my university place. It took them up to January 2013 for my first instalment to arrive. I started University in September 2012. During my attendance at University, I had to report to their Student Services Team to receive £20 - £40, for travellling expenses and childcare expenses, amounting to the £1100. In repsonse to this, they advised me that due to their error, to open a Student Account and withdraw the overdraft of £1500 to fund my travel expenses and maintenance. I had to give up my job due to my university. Now, as I've failed elements of my course, they are refusing for me to continue until I pay back £1000.

Can they do this? I still have to pay back £1500 to the bank, however, this has not been mentioned.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I would like to wait longer. It's not a problem.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is okay. I was hoping for a solicitor who deals with higher education issues, if that is of any help.

I look forward to your reply,

Regards,

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nicola,

Could you ask Clare - Family Solicitor, who answered my last question on matters dealing with son's education? Her ID is clairep80.

She may be able to help herself or recommend the best trail to take.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Tracy Clarke

Hello Tracy,

I have passed this on to Claire directly for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is great news!

Yes, will wait. It's not a problem.

Tracy

Just to check - it was Student Finance and not the University that were late?
Did you ever actually receive the finance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Claire,

It was Student Finance England that were late, but it is amalgamated through UCAS. When you apply via the college, you complete your application in class with supervision of your tutor. I was not late applying. The application for UCAS was completed in December 2011.

Actually I am afraid it is in fact two separate matters and the University has no control over Student Finance.
Did you eventually receive the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not until January 2013!!

Did you receive the full amount you expected - and I have to ask - if you did why did you not repay the money that you had borrowed from the University?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Once I received a lump sum of money £1179.00, I did pay back £300.00, but I was so worried I kept hold of everything. Bear in mind my weekly allowance to get to college and maintenance calculated to at least £90.00 per week. Also, there were issues with regard to the payments for my childcare commitments. The childcare providers had to wait up to twelve weeks to be paid! The debt of £1383.00 was the payment for my two childcare providers for the first academic term.

Also, Student Finance would request duplicate information with regard to the childcare grant application (CCG) on numerous occasions, whilst I was trying to study. So there was always a delay with childcare payments. They are to this day still asking for the name of my son - as if they don't know what that is. I've taken copies of the CCG forms sent back in January 2014, where I have stated my child's name, so all these requests are unecessary.

I hope this explains the problems.

The words Student Finance actually explain the problem - there are few students who have not suffered their incompetence
However I am afraid that their lack of competence is not the fault of the University and on that basis i am afraid that you cannot argue the matter on that score.
however if there were other funds you could have accessed and they failed to draw that to your attention
then you could ask them to consider working out a compromise with you so that you can repay the funds over a short period - and from next years Student Loan - assuming that you consider
I do understand that this is not what you wished to hear - but sadly this is the position that you are in
Please ask if you need further details