Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

When my mother passes will our joint account transfer to me

When my mother passes will our joint account transfer to me or will they be included in her estate - Scotland. The total is well below the IHT levels with or without the joint account?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

A joint Bank account passes automatically through survivorship to the survivor upon the first death.
Therefore, the account would pass to you and does not form part of her Estate/ her Will.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks as she wanted to know this money was available to pay for anything that was needed in our household when she was living with me until she moved into a home. Then she wanted to know that there was sufficient money in an accessible account to pay for her needs and end of live care. At 92/93 years she was not wanting to owe or get into debt.