12826847

I have just bought a trailer from a private seller, and taken

I have just bought a trailer from a private seller, and taken it straight to a trailer service centre for the breaks to be serviced as I was going to tow it to ***** service centre refused to work on it as not only is it not roadworthy, but dangerous as the axles and the breaking system and the suspension are likely to fail catastrophically at any moment.
Do I have any redress?

many thanks

Have they actually used the term unroadworthy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unroadworthy and dangerous

If this is genuinely a vehicle that is 'unroadworthy' then its sale is a criminal offence and you can complain to the council. However, that is a very high test. There is no legal definition of 'unroadworthy'. Its made up of a general impression of the vehicle. Its worth making a report anyway.

You also may have a claim in misrepresentation if the description of the vehicle was untrue or misleading and you relied on that description during the negotiations.

You do not have Sale of Goods Act rights unfortunately. To that extent the seller is right - this is a case of buyer's beware.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finally, which council department should I refer this to?

Thank you very much for your help.

bryan

Just speak to their general helpline and they will redirect you.

They are often very apathetic about these reports so I wouldn't expect miracles.