75100385

There is a pre-school in our local village. They are housed

Customer Question

There is a pre-school in our local village. They are housed in a building annexed to the primary school with the building being owned by the village/parish council. The pre-school has been there for circa 20 years - there is no rental agreement in place. The parish council have bought a new property in the village and want the pre-school to move into that new building - the commercial benefit of that purchase does not work unless the commercial enterprise of the pre-school become the tenant. The village council are forcing the issue on the pre-school by demanding they vacate the building and threatening to double the rent.

What is the pre-schools legal entitlement given there are no rental agreements in place but they have been paying a commercial rent for so long

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply. !
Alex Watts : Its bad news I am afriad.
Alex Watts : If there is no rental agreement there is a tenancy at will.
Alex Watts : That means it can be terminated at any time and for no reason.
Alex Watts : This is because there is no security in place giving x years,
Alex Watts : Just because they have been there so long does not give any rights.
Alex Watts : All they can do is complain to the council and then the ombudsman.
Alex Watts : The Ombudsman is free and offers an independent service. Their website is www.lgo.org.uk
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-gmw2h36y- :

all seems pretty clear thanks Alex - thanks for taking the time to respond

Alex Watts : Sorry it's not better news.
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer before you go.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/