Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have had my van repaired and serviced at a main dealer, while

I have had my van repaired and serviced at a main dealer, while there it was damaged and since it as had 7 attempts to repair it. I am not happy with the standard of repair and have an engineers report stating it is a poor repair.
The dealership have now refused to repair it any further and have made a compensation offer and an offer to buy it back, neither of which will cover the cost of repair or the cost to replace it like for like.
They have refused to improve their offer.
It has been 11 months since they first damaged it.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When anyone provides a service there is an obligation that it should be provided with "reasonable care and skill". This is contained under S.13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. If they have failed to do this and will not subsequently pay for the damage, your options are:
1. Write to them and say that if they do not make a satisfactory offer for compensation you reserve the right to ask another mechanic to repair and seek to recover the cost from them;
2. If they still refuse then go to another mechanic have the repair done and then make a claim in the County Court www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome;
3. If you do not want to go to court then you can also make a complaint to www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ they will have the power to resolve the dispute however it will likely be a slow process.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ