My wife has been followed and filmed by a dog warden, what

Customer Question

My wife has been followed and filmed by a dog warden, what is the law regarding this as at no time did he tell her he was filming with a body camera?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife,as a responsible dog walker was walking our dog.She was fully equipped with poo bags and was watching the dog continually. Unfortunately the footpath went in one direction and the dog went behind a bush away from the path and fouled the grass area. Immediately the warden appeared, stated he had been following and pointed out that the dog had fouled .She immediately picked up the poo but still issued her with an on the spot fine.The fine is not the problem but, being followed and filmed is as she feels that she has been stalked and is quite distressed by the matter. There are signs warning that CCTV is in operation but no mention of body cameras and they are not highly visible

I am really sorry but I cannot agree that this type of conduct offends.

A dog warden is an enforcement officer empowered by the local council. As such he would be entitled to use and rely upon any form of CCTV recording even if there were no signs at all. That is what test purchase officers do all the time.

In any event, this is not stalking or harassment because he is pursuing the enforcement of the law which is a specific defence under the Protection from Harassment Act

There are very few restrictions upon use of CCTV in the UK. That is why high streets are littered with them.

I am very sorry but I have to give you truthful information and this complaint is a dead end I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help. I know exactly where I stand now.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile