UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I recently engaged a domestic cleaning service company to commence

I recently engaged a domestic cleaning service company to commence a fortnightly clean of my property. The owner explained he would send paper work to my address that explained the T&Cs (and I assumed would be a contract I would sign). Over the phone they explained that I would need to give written notice of one month if I wanted to cancel their services. I had not recieved the paper work when the first appointment came around but continued anyway. I now have the paper work but it is not a contract that I can sign just a schedule of Terms of Business. If I want to cancel am I subject to the one month's notice period and fees for this period?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you would be obliged to give the 1 month's notice unless you cancelled within any cooling off period, usually 7 days of the date you entered into the contract.

By accepting their services, you are deemed to have accepted their terms of business and do not need to sign as there is an implied agreement.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** there is no cooling off period in the Terms of Business - are there any stautory rules implied?

Yes, 7 days cooling off period under the Distance Selling Regulations.