12826847

im on jsa and they are now making me do 6 weeks mandatory work

Customer Question

im on jsa and they are now making me do 6 weeks mandatory work program, ive heard this may be illegal

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think it may be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i read on internet that its in court now, and saying its against humen rights , due to one reason you will have to work 30 hours per week and all you get it your jsa £72

The case you are thinking of is R and W and it was decided that the schemes were legally flawed for various reasons but they did not breach human rights by amounting to forced labour.

The complaint that was upheld was that the schemes did not conform to the Act of Parliament giving the Government power to arrange these schemes. Subsequently to that the Government has redrafted the regulations.

I'm very sorry but thats your position I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so they can make you do it

Well, nobody can force you to do it.

But if you don't they can remove your benefits.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have read, under article 4 of the european convention of human right, clearly states - no one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour