29905560

dear sir/madam I was wondering if I could get help in any

Customer Question

dear sir/madam

I was wondering if I could get help in any way with a parcel that is being sent to me from togo only thing is it has now reached Germany but they are asking for a stamp duty fee of £1,789.00 but unfortunately I don't have this kind of money as I am only on benefits what would you advise. this money would be returned to me as it is refundable.

kind regards
Rebekah spraggett

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Who sent you this parcel?

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

I bank in togo its was for a prepaid ATM card

Ben Jones :

how have they been communicating with you - via email?

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

yeah they have been communicating with me by email

Ben Jones :

do you have the last part of their email address, only the bit after the @

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

yeah I do its live.com

Ben Jones :

ok this is most definitely a scam - something I have seen numerous times in the past. It is called 'advance fee fraud' where you are promised to receive something but before you do so, you are asked to pay money for various reasons, be it fees, taxes, costs, etc. There is no such stamp duty fee that would be payable in these circumstances and certainly not to the amount you are being asked to pay. Also the correspondence you have been having is not with a bank, it is with someone who has just decided to create a free email address and pretend they are from a bank - the email you have been dealing with does not belong to any official organisation, anyone can get it for free in just a few minutes. Do not proceed any further and certainly do not pay any money - it is a scam

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

but this email address does exist because it belongs to a bank directly in togo and I have personal checked to see if this bank exists and it does.

Ben Jones :

oh no it does not belong to a bank in Togo I can assure you of that - it is owned by Microsoft and they allow anyone to register with it for free, I can create one of these email addresses in just a few minutes right now if I wanted to and contact you through it and tell you I am Mr X from some bank in a foreign country. The bank itself may exist, but the person you are corresponding with is not from that bank

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

then if this is the case then how is it that a courier company called PHL are also in communication with me and have got my parcel ready to deliver the bank have also helped me with some cost towards it as well if you want I can give you the whole email address of the so called bank

Ben Jones :

this is an old and proven scam - all of these people are the same person or group of people - it is ever so easy to create an email address or even a website and pretend you are a company or person and scam people in that way - I have seen it dozens and dozens of times and have been involved in dealing with such scams for some time - it is 100% clear from this case that this is a scam. Anyone can pretend they are from PHL or whatever else they want to call themselves and tell you they have a parcel - how do you know they are for real though, anyone can contact you and claim that, it means nothing. You are free to give me all email addresses you have but just the parts after the @ please as otherwise they get blanked out on here

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

the address is @outlook.com for the courier company

Ben Jones :

again - it is a free address provided by Microsoft - anyone can open one up for free in just a few minutes - it is not linked in any way to an official company, exactly the same as the other address, which has no links to the bank

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

then what is the proper email for the vimba trust securities bank based in togo then

Ben Jones :

you said you checked and it is a bank that exists - how did you do that?

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

I just typed in the name of the bank on google search and then the name and address came up on the site

Ben Jones :

that does not mean it is real though - there is no official website for such a bank and any posts on the internet about them are from people asking if they exist, probably people caught up in the same scam as you

JACUSTOMER-y2v3pwvp- :

ok it was nice talking to you

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best