Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hi Alex, I hope you can help with my question.

Customer Question

Hi Alex, I hope you can help with my question. I own 2 flats in a converted house i thought i was the owner, My mother took out a small mortgage and put her savings into it, I paid her rent and the mortgage (direct to her) and she got the rent from the other flat. This was a great way to get on the property ladder, this was all in 1985. She told me she put the flats (Freehold) in my name, She died in 2007. I went to check the deeds the other day and its still in her name, am I now libel for death duties even thought I thought I was paying off the mortgage. and the idea was that it was in my name. (PS my mother was not trying to rip me off she just must of forgot to put it in my name. ) Mortgage was all paid by 1995. Both flats were bought for around £85,000 they are now worth about £ 750,000. Hope you can help. ps she was a Jersey (CI)  resident. but the flats are in London

Alex Watts : Thanks for asking for me, but sadly this is outside my area of expertise, so I will opt out to allow another person to answer it.
Alex Watts : Thanks again and please remember me in future.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes i can wait. Thank you

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi if you could continue to look for someone to answer this question. I did not think it was so hard to answer. But obviously it is. Hopefully a tax expert could answer it. Thanks

Please let me know if you would like a refund at any point.