UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a sole trader and I have a website under the address of

I am a sole trader and I have a website under the address of four-paws-bucks.co.uk.
I have today received communications stating that Four Paws is a registered company and that unless I change the name legal action will be taken against me.

I have asked my website designer to add in the 'Bucks' into my logo so it is more obvious that we are not the same.

Please advise what if I need to take any further action?

Sarah
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

There are several animal charities and organisations using the four paws name.

You may also add a disclaimer on your front page that you are a sole trader and not affiliated to any other organisation using the four paws name.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By doing what I suggested and by adding a disclaimer, will that be enough?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By doing that, you will minimise the risk but unless you stop using the four paws name completely, it will never be absolutely enough.

May i help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even with it being Four Paws Bucks and when all the other companies etc... have Four Paws within their name i.e Four Paws Biscuit Company, Four Paws Aqua Ltd...?

If I register the name as a copyrighted name and my individual logo, will that help?

Yes, since Four Paws is so common, there will always be someone or the other writing to you and threatening this and that.

If you were to change your trade name to say dog paws, then you would be fine as long as there is no other business or organisation with that name.

Registering as a trademark (not copyright) will not help as such in defending yourself from claims but it will help in proving your usage of that name.

All the best, ***** ***** feedback