75100385

I wish to end our tenancy agreement early by 3 months - I emailed

I wish to end our tenancy agreement early by 3 months - I emailed the Letting Agency explaining our safety concerns for our toddler remaining here.
I had a reply giving us a date they would agree for us to vacate - but they also want us to pay the rent for another 2 weeks beyond the date we may leave.
My question is - is this acceptable that we will move out but be expected to pay for another couple of weeks after that?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Sadly yes.
Alex Watts : In theory they could force you to pay for the remaining term.
Alex Watts : But if you want to leave early then 2 weeks is not unreasonable.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi Alex,

Alex Watts : Hi
Customer:

Thanks for the quick reply. The nature or the message I sent is one of concern if our boy remains here. He is likely to hurt himself. I will take your steer on this, but being asked to pay for a property we had to vacate becaue of concerns for our sons safety seems wrong somehow.

Alex Watts : Yes but sadly they could make you pay for the remaining term under the contract.
Alex Watts : So in reality 2 weeks is ok.
Customer:

Okay - thanks for your honesty. We renewed after 12 months - I thought we had a 2 month notice 'get out' in the contract but I guess my next step is to review those terms once again.

Alex Watts : if it has rolled on you would have probably had 2 months.
Alex Watts : but if you renewed for 12 no tha then sadly you are stuck.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Alex Watts : If not might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Customer:

No thank you. I will get familiar with the exact details of our contract - hoping it is a rolling one with the 2 month clause. Thanks for the quick replies - all the best to you.

Alex Watts : All the best for you.