Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Type your legal question here My sons and their children have

Customer Question

Type your legal question here
My sons and their children have been left some money in their Grand Mothers Will. The grand Mothers children are executors of the Will. My sons want no contact with the executors, but they will not send a copy of the Will. Unfortunately one son lives in Australia and the other in Montreal, Canada, both with their children. The executors state they will do nothing, because they will not accept an email as proof of their identity. Is there anything they can do to get over this issue. Yours Respectfully
Terence A Boulton
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please clarify why the Executors need to see "id" from your Sons, bearing in mind they are family?

On what grounds have the Executors refused to send your Sons a copy of the Will?

Do you know if the Executors have obtained Probate yet?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you need more info, I have sent you all that you have asked for!!!!!!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They say that emails are not a recognised way of proving the identity, we believe they may have something to hide, or they are just being difficult, or maybe they do not want to give the correct amounts of money. We do not know if they have applied for probate. I did send this info before, I do not know why you did not receive.

Terence Boulton

Hi Terence,

Thanks for your reply (again). Not sure why I didn't receive it first time round.

At the end of the day, the Executors will either be sending your Sons entitlement by way of a cheque in favour of your Sons or a Bank transfer to their Bank accounts so there is very little reason why they need to "verify their id" at this stage.

I can only assume they are using delaying tactics for one reason or another.

I know it is an expense, but if the Executors don't play ball, your Sons will have no alternative but to instruct a Solicitor in their respective countries to write to the Executors, requesting payment.
If the Solicitor backs this up with confirmation that they have verified your Sons id, the Executors will have no excuse.

I appreciate the cost with Solicitors, but this may be the only way your Sons can get the Executors to act as they should.

As regards ***** ***** if your Sons have been left only a specific sum of money, they are only entitled to see a copy extract of the Will detailing their legacy.
However, once Probate has been granted, the Will becomes a public document, and for a nominal sum, any member of the public can apply to the Leeds Probate Registry for a copy. You can also contact them to see if Probate has been granted, if you wish.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Having read this again, I think this is all you could do or say at the moment. Than you.

Terence Boulton

Thanks Terence.

All the best.

Kind Regards
AL