29905560

hi there. I have got my own Limited company in the UK. A

hi there.

I have got my own Limited company in the UK.
A self employed worker who worked for me has caused a lot of damage on
machines in work.
Can i deduct his wages?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Unless he had a written contract with you which stated that you can do so, then if you take money off his wages it could amount to a breach of contract or in some circumstances even an unlawful deduction of wages. Therefore, to be on the safe side you must only make such deductions if a specific provision existed in his contract allowing you to do so. In the absence of such a clause, you can still pursue the person separately, for example by making a negligence claim against him

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

But he is a self employed individual.

Ben Jones :

yes I understand but the self employed have rights as well, it would be a breach of contract to just stop his pay, even if you believe he has damaged equipment and owes you money. You must pay him as normal and if you want to pursue him for damages caused by his actions then you must do so separately, for example the small claims court

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** do so.