75100385

I was recently at an a closed event where I was invited to

Customer Question

I was recently at an a closed event where I was invited to place money ( folding ) into an envelope to be drawn that evening for effectively 2 Prizes---- one valued at £1200 and the other for £1.00. It was not a Reverse Raffle.
Needless to say my envelope out of some 300 was drawn out first and I was given the £1.00 Prize!
My argument is that although it may be more exciting to announce results in reverse order it meant that I was not in the draw for the Main Prize or any other minor prize which increased in value.
I realise that I might have bought a ticket anyway,even it was announced that the order of awarding the Prizes in reverse order ( which it wasn't ) as obviously although one might hope to win you do not Expect to!!
Thanking you in advance,
Kind Regards,
John Cunliffe
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,

Were any terms of the raffle made known beforehand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sealed envelopes were invted to be filled with folding money for a Draw on the evening where the Top Prize was advertised as a Brand new Set of Golf Clubs valued at £1200.00. There was mention of other Prizes but no mention that a Miss World type of result was going to be made to add to the excitement------ well other people's as I was not in the Final Draw as I had come out first for 3 cheap golf balls.
Although I would have considered it wrong,I probably would not be very concerned if say the 1 st Prize had been a Case of Champagne as I do not drink---- but I do try to play golf!!!
I am afraid I do not see a case for you here, your number was picked first and you won the £1 set of balls, unless the organiser had specifically stated that the first number picked would win the £1200 set of gold clubs, I am afraid you do not have a case.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Obviously I am disappointed with your reply although I am perfectly happy with your service.
However,I can understand when a raffle ( effectively what it was ), is organised and people choose their own prizes in the order selected.
Obviously I would not have chosen a golf ball and I cannot see that it can be right that I was not in the Draw for the advertised Prize after my envelope was withdrawn.
Why would anyone buy a ticket for a raffle wanting to win the Last Prize or are you telling me that I can sell tickets advertising a certain Prize and then decide in which order I present them----- to my mind that is illogical and ridiculous!!
I thank you in advance for your further response,
Kind Regards,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To UKSolicitor JA
Having been out all day yesterday playing golf with my old set of golf clubs I was a little disappointed not to come home to a reply to my further query about the legality of offering Prizes in the advertised order basically.
Possibly you would be good enough to look into this and I thank you in advance for your reply.
Regards,
John
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Were you aware of the raffle and there was only one real prize before you entered please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,
Thank you in advance for replying further to my subsequent enquiry.
I do not doubt what J.A.'s answer was except that it did not seem logical to me.
In answer to your query( eventually ),
To be absolutely accurate I was at a Golf Week Event at which I Registered on Sunday and was invited to fill the envelope ( which I did there and then ) with sales continuing until the Thursday evening when the Draw took place .
From the beginning it was "Sold " as a Draw for the £1200.00 Clubs + other unspecified items.
Envelopes were still being" filled " at the Thursday evening Dinner and being advertised as a Draw for The Golf Clubs as 1 st Prize,together with with other now specified minor Prizes.
I am pretty certain that everyone in the room ( some 300 + ) would have assumed that the 1 st Envelope drawn took the Main Prize.
Would I have entered if I was told that the 1 st Envelope out took the last Prize ( which meant it wouldn't even be in the Draw for the 1 st Prize ?---- probably yes as obviously the chances were some 300/1 against.
Would I enter such a Draw again----- No I wouldn't.
Would The Organiser Care ?--- pretty certainly not!!
Should this be allowed ?---- No I don't think it should!!
Apologies for going on at such length but 3 weeks on and I still feel aggrieved!
Regards,,
John
Yes but did you know that there was 1 good envelope and the rest were duff please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I may be fairly stupid but I do not fully understand the question!!
I did know from the beginning that there were a few Prizes ( let's say 5 ) so that approximately 295 would never be drawn out and would thus never win a Prize although they were at least in the Draw for the 1st Prize which I never was as I came out First and was thus only in the Draw for the Last Prize -- a few golf balls.
To my mind that cannot be reasonable,legal,or ethical as I was in reality only buying a ticket to win last prize!!--- something I think you would agree no sane person would do!!
I have no objection to 4 or 5 envelopes being withdrawn and announced in reverse order,but still the first envelope out must be announced last to win 1st Prize.
I am not being in any way rude,contentious or whatever but have you not been to such an event when such a Draw has taken place?
I certainly have over my 67 years and have told my thoughts to the Draw Organiser afterwards although I have never been so closely involved----- and never will be again!!
As I don't believe it to be reasonable I am partly protesting on behalf of doubtless many others who have been in this position and may not have complained as possibly the value of the Prize was not significant.
Once again apologies for going on and thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
John
Thanks. I just need to know, did you know that there was one top prize and the rest were not very good?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes ,I think that is a fair comment.
Obviously,if I gave it any particular thought at all I did not imagine that I was going to Win----- well I thought I had !!
So you thought you would end up with a golf ball?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only if I won the Final Prize--- which in any " Normal " Raffle I have ever been in was the last ticket to be drawn--- almost as the Booby a Prize!
I have just been watching the British Athletic Championships on T.V. -and it seems to me that it would be the same if I crossed the winning line first( and let's say there were 3 of us )and I win the Bronze a Medal---- that would be crazy----- or am I missing something?
Sadly I agree with my colleague.

Unless it was specifically agreed you would not be picked first then sadly you do not have a case.

This is because you agreed to their raffle and unless they said they would run it in a particular way and did not, sadly there is no claim.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,
I am delighted with the Service I have received and will finally rate it as excellent when I eventually do finish.
What I don' t understand is how anyone can agree beforehand not to be picked first?----- Where is there any logic there!!!!
Anyway,it would appear that I'm not going to get anywhere--- so I guess I have gone as far as I can ---- and must endorse the words of Mr Micawber!!
It is my intention to write to the Organisers again with my observations( complaint ) and include this Correspondence.
Once again Thank You
Yes I would do so and I am sorry I can not give you a better answer.

But I do have to be honest.

Good luck and have a good weekend.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Service was excellent although I find the answer very strange.
Funnily enough I wrote to The Organiser ( I didn't include your judgement as I've given up with complaining !) who said they usually put the ticket back in The Draw------ not true from my memory of previous years--- but as they didn't with mine ---- He was sorry!!---- Not as sorry as I was !!
To me the logic of drawing the first ticket and then awarding the last Prize is the same as running in a 100 metre race and giving the person who breaks the tape first the Bronze Medal which sounds totally illogical to me---- but I guess I will just have to get on with life as a lot worse things happen to a lot of other people.
Regards,
John
Hi John - thank you for the update. Good luck in future.