I was visiting a friend who was raided by police whilst I was

Customer Question

I was visiting a friend who was raided by police whilst I was there and it turns out he was growing marijuana upstairs. I was arrested and taken to the police station and kept in custody for about 14 hours. I was questioned and then released on bail with today being my return date. I arrived at the police station expecting to be exonerated but instead my bail was extended by another month. They have taken my phone which I admitted would have evidence of me buying marijuana for my own personal use but I had no idea of what was happening upstairs at my friend's house. As time has gone on, I have become increasingly concerned about what is happening simply because I thought they would have dropped the charges by now and that would have been the end of it. Clearly this has not been the case. I didn't speak to a solicitor upon my arrest because I felt I simply did not need one as I hadn't done anything wrong. I have no priors at all but I'm worried a simple case of wrong place, wrong time is going to cost me very dearly. Am I right to be so concerned?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, ultimately, I wanted to know why the charges weren't dropped as I was expecting and what will happen because of the admission of the texts on my phone?

I think probably because they are saying that you are looking after the plants for him or offering some form of assistance.

It depends how large the cultivation area is. If its one or two plants in a room that contains no evidence of your presence then thats a weak case. If the plants are all over the house then probably not.

The evidence from your phone may be used against you. It really depends. If there is evidence of buying on your phone then they may be hoping that you turn into a witness and go QE. I have to say though that a person is not encouraged to go QE by keeping them on bail forever and a day but some police officers seem to think it helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry not to be up to speed with legal lingo but what does QE mean?

The plants were in two rooms upstairs, and from what I understand, there were quite a lot of them but I had never been up there so I was completely oblivious.

So are you suggesting that the police suspect I was looking after them for him??!!

Queens evidence. Give evidence for the prosecution. Their argument may be that you were the buyer.

But yes, they could be saying that you were there to service the plants. It depends what type of operation this was. There are cannabis factories all over the country where people just return literally just to feed and water the plants. A few plants in a domestic home isn't really in that category.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I know I had no clue as to what was going on, and I never went upstairs, so I guess I'll just have to hope justice prevails.

I paid for this advice because I thought it would ease my concern but I thinks it's had the opposite effect!! Haha. Thanks for the advice though.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile