LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi There, Can you help, We wish to assess whether we

Customer Question

Hi There,

Can you help,

We wish to assess whether we have a case for legal action against out vet who we believe has acted Negligently and unprofessionally and gave unsound advice causing stress and eventual death of our pet cat. Are there specialist lawyers who deal with this type of case or will a general lawyers handle it ?

I am in the process of obtaining all the vet records of treatment over the past 6 months. Does the vet have to legally provide this for us. We have spend about £1500 over the past 6 months with various test and treatments which i believe because the vets acted Negligently meant our cat went through a major operation (leg amputated) and resulting stress and pain unnecessarily.

Can you help please ?

Andy & Elaine
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

There is no reason why you cannot bring a claim against a vet for negligence for costs incurred and suffering experienced by you. Any award of compensation is unlikely to be very high. You could also complain to the RCVS http://www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/ if your main concern is to have him investigated by his professional body, to ensure the future safety of other people's pets.

LondonlawyerJ :

There are solicitors who specialise in this sort of work and a Google search will bring up a number of firms. I am not allowed to recommend any particular firm to you but if the firm also do clinical negligence claims and other professional negligence work then it is likely that they will know what they are doing.