75100385

We recently had a substantial amount work done on our property,

We recently had a substantial amount work done on our property, by Red Dragon Driveways, Carmarthen, which we originally thought was a reputable company, owned by the person who gave us the quote. They required a deposit then nothing until the work was completed.
The work was carried out by another 'owner' of the company who continually asked for money throughout the course of the work. We paid the amounts demanded as we were concerned that he would walk away & leave us with a bomb site.
We are not satisfied that the work actually done was what we agreed with the person who gave us the quote. He was supposed to call today but has put us off until Monday due to a bad back.
I am concerned that this has been a con & would like advice as to what action we can take if this is the case.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How much is being claimed please?
Customer:

Between 13 & 23 June 2014 we made payments totalling £10435 (the full amount charged) to Mr Obrien's online bank account. At each stage we felt intimidated & pressured into making the payments as we feared that he would pull his men off the job until we paid up. In fact, as the last payment of £1800, made on Saturday 21 June, did not appear in his account immediately, the person sealing the driveway etc left with no explanation. They subsequently returned on the Monday morning, after the money was in his account.

Alex Watts : How much have they quoted for the whole job? How much work is required to be done?
Customer:

The whole job was £10435 i.e. the total amount he took from us during the course of the work. It involved replacing the existing driveway & hardstand plus the remaining garden area in front of the house & replacing a concreted section at the back of the house - approximately 150 square metres.

Alex Watts : Do you know the cost of getting someone else to complete the job?
Customer:

As far as we are concerned the job has been completed but not to the standard we were led to believe.

Alex Watts : Ok. Do your
Alex Watts : Do you know the cost to make it good?
Customer:

No idea.

Alex Watts :

Ok - you need to get a number of quotes for putting the work right. Then you pick the cheapest, this forms your loss

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or pay you this loss within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Customer:

No thank you. I now have the information I need to take this further if they fail to come back & put it right themselves. I think this is unlikely as Mr Keith Fury, of Red Dragon Driveways, is already using delaying tactics for coming to see us tomorrow.