12826847

Does a car park (privately owned) have to have a separate exit

Customer Question

Does a car park (privately owned) have to have a separate exit and entrance if at a busy crossroads - it has between 60 and 70 spaces and no clear signage is on display, currently using one exit/entrance with room for only one vehicle to pass through at a time - junction has traffic lights, pedestrian crossing and extremely busy - thank you.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a shop owner in a very small town. The pub in the town is on the corner of a very busy crossroads, controlled by traffic lights and pedestrian crossing. It has two exits/entrances to the car park, one opposite my shop and others on one road and one round the corner opposite a mechanics. a bus top and residential. The landlord of the pub has closed off the entrance/exit on my side to put tables across - he has used planters and a black board explaining to use the other entrance, which is also closed until pub opening times. It is causing reduced trade, confusion for traffic and pedestrians alike. He seems to have just taken it upon himself to do this, much to the dismay and concern of local businesses and residents alike.

But just to be clear, he owns the land?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, the brewery who employ the landlord own the land.

Yes, I understand. The landlord himself will not be the owner but the car park is owned by those who own the pub.

There are not particular rules with private land car parks about how exits must be positioned. Since exits must be connected to the public road somewhere then they must be constructed by contractors approved by the local council. However, there are no rules governing their location within a car park.

If the car park is solely owned by those who own the land then I'm afraid they can obstruct the exits and entrances as they choose.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.