12826847

I made a statement to the police as I saw an argument between

I made a statement to the police as I saw an argument between two ppl outside my home. One of them was waving a kitchen knife around. (Argument subsided quickly after).
Before making the witness statement I asked if my name will be mentioned to the
Defendant and I was told no. Also I stated I did not want to appear in court.
The case is now in crown court and my name was given to the defendant who lives across the road to me. I do not want to give evidence as a witness in court. Can I be made to?
I'm scared of repercussions to me and my young family.

Who contacted the police about the incident please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was a small crowd outside too. One of those called the police. I think only one more witness gave a statement.

If you have made a statement to the police then they can summons you Im afraid. Once you make a statement that is evidence and whether or not you attend court is no longer your choice to make.

Whether or not they will summons you is another matter. Independent witnesses do tend to be very valuable to a prosecution but if they have enough evidence from other sources then they might respect your wishes.

I'm sorry if thats bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can the police blatantly lie and say your name will not be revealed to the defendant when it will be?
Its not particularly ethical but I hear reports of them doing similar things all the time.

It doesn't make any difference to the current situation I'm afraid.