Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

can a company pay you off when you are off sick and handing

can a company pay you off when you are off sick and handing in sick lines
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What do you mean by "pays you off"? Do you mean you were dismissed?

Customer:

dear alex hughes payed off is their vay of saying theyare dismissed me

Alex Hughes :

Your employer can dismiss you if you are on long term sick, but before they can do this they must:

• consider if an employee can return to work - eg working flexibly or part-time, doing different or less stressful work (with training if necessary)

• consult with employees about when they could return to work and if their health will improve

If your employer has not discussed your absence and looked at whether you could return to work then you may have a claim for unfair dismissal and take your employer to the Employment Tribunal. If you are dismissed your employer must pay notice and holiday. If they did not do this then you can add it as part of your claim.