13262538

my daughter has been having terrible problems with her local

Customer Question

my daughter has been having terrible problems with her local allowances in north Yorkshire with richmondshire district council and has been ill due to the letters and statement of debts which they keep sending her. Since May she has been chased for what they say is an overpayment of £442.64 and now today she has received a letter to say the overpayment has been reduced to £323.65 and she only owes £42.47! She has been to see Citizens advice who advised her she would get more if her son who is 19 left home and there was only her and her daughter. These problems caused her fibromyalgia (which she has suffered with for last 4-5 years) to go into overdrive and she is really not fit to be at work. We do not know whether to see a solicitor,an M.P. or WHO??
Are you speaking about Housing Benefit problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

housing benefit, tax credits, working tax credits and family allowance are all involved in this query

Which of those say there has been an overpayment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The letter says housing benefit and they told her initially she won't get any more money until August which means she will lose her house We have already been having to give her money each month for her to live on. Now this new letter which I have not seen says she has had her overpayment reduced to £323.65 and she only owes £42.47. She's had letter after letter about this money since her son left home to live with his father but then came back to live with her. I am going to make an appointment to go see these people as she is sure she will get another letter before long as each one affects the others. Thank you for your time but I don't feel it can be sorted on line

Indeed in the end you are going to have to visit the housing office and resolve the issue
However you also need to understand how and why the problems have arisen.
This is because Housing Benefit is a purely means tested benefit - and the income is based on the income of all the residents in the property
The fact that her son moved out and back and out again could have caused the problems.
Your local authority should provide guidance - if not there is some here
http://www.merton.gov.uk/advice-benefits/benefits/hb-ctb/housingbenefit/calculatinghb.htmThe fact that her son lives with her does not effect the other benefits she received
If there is other help you need then please ask