UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

This is a Employment Law question - Impact of a Performance

Customer Question

Having signed a Performance Improvement Plan recently, I am off the opinion that the relationship between the company and myself is now beyond repair. My initial thoughts are to seek an amicable solution. So I leave with a good reference and a clean Personnel file. Is this an advisable course of action ? There is no evidence of poor performance been given to me and I have asked for this. I would much rather focus on moving on with my career. Please advise ?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, if you feel that your continuing employment is no longer tenable then it makes sense to part ways amicably.

You need to speak to your line manager about this and see if they are happy with your proposal. You may be asked to sign a compromise agreement.

may I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

What can one expect in a compromise agreement ?

Also this is academic but would refusing to sign a Performance Improvement Plan have been an option ?

Yes, you could have refused to sign the PIP.

See here for what a compromise agreement or settlement agreement involves

http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/client-resources/legal-updates/New-regime-for-compromise-agreements-from-29-July-5716.aspx

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok ... What impact does signing the PIP have ? As I have had a spotless career and I do not want it tarnished ? Can this cause any problems in gaining future employment and Career progression?

No, it does not need to be revealed to future employers that you were on a PIP, this is something you need to discuss as part of your leaving terms.

You may read about PIPs here:

http://www.performanceimprovementplans.co.uk

Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that - As I only signed the PIP last week ... if as another alternative

I choose to hand in my resignation on the grounds that my career profile and goals are not in line with the companys goals can the employer then make things difficult for me or give me a bad or poor reference ? Can they also hold me to the tasks on the PIP during my notice period ?

I don't really have any intentions of making a claim. I just want to get out of a negative situation and move on with my career. Just want to see what the options are ?

Please leave feedback for the answers already given.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry can you please tell me what further information you require ?

The best thing is to set up a meeting with your employer an discuss an exit strategy for you, they may be glad to discuss an amicable exit with you on terms to be agreed e.g. A good reference.

If you are leaving, they may not hold you to the PIp.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - for your advise.

This is really helpfull.

Welcome