Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

With regards ***** ***** where a laser camera in a vehicle

Customer Question

With regards ***** ***** where a laser camera in a vehicle is being used , is it the case that the officer must be able see 400 metres in order to judge whether a vehicle is likely to be speeding or can they just scan for vehicles and hoover up whatever comes in ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Is this a mobile van?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it was a mobile van

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for Alex Hughes

Yes a mobile van

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
The guidance on 'targetting' can be found in the Association of Chief Police Offices Guidance 2011 - 2015.

Unlike other criminal offences there is no requirement to form 'reasonable suspicion' that a car is speeding. A camera can be pointed at any moving vehice to see whether it is breaking the speed limit.

I can see the point your making and you might be able to challenge the reliability of the recorded speed - but the need to form a view about the speed of the vehicle beforehand is a moot point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the photos concerned the speed of the vehicle and distance is shown only on 1 of the photos. But the car is on a rise and you can't see the wheels on the road of the photo where the speed is indicated, so there is no way that I can measure / verify the distance of the vehicle.

Can I argue that the evidence is therefore not admissible evidence on the basis that there is no way of verifying the accuracy of the equipment ?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what type of device was used?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The NOIP mentions a LTI 20.20 UltraLyte 1000 laser speed measuring device and the Lastec recording system

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

The LTI 20.20 UL1000 is notoriously difficult to use and the operator has to ensure that it is properly calibrated, checked and operatored. The operator has to take into account such things as a clear line of sight, break in the beam and cosine effect. These things can determine whether or not the speed reading is reliable. In the event that an unreliable reading is provided the court could be persuaded to dismiss the charge. The only way you will really know whether the operator has taken the correct steps is by pleading not guilty, raising the issue of unreliability as part of your defence and calling the operator to give evidence about the device. You will have to cross-examine the operator about the use and if you can undermine his/her evidence then you could argue that reading should not be admitted as evidence. Additionally you should lodge a Defence Case Statement raising the issue and asking for calibration, operating and engineers reports to ascertain whether the machine was functioning properly. Once you obtain this information you can decide whether there is any merit in your argument or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice and guidance.

I think I have the basis for a defence which whilst costly to me in terms of time, to pursue, and potentially costly to lose, but the court may well drop the charge before it gets to court as it is costly to pursue as well and such a waste of public funds. I have committed to defending myself on principle, in that I see this as just a money making scam. I currently have a clean licence and am seeking to preserve that.

John

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure - good luck with this. Alex