75100385

As a UNISON member I recently requested advice from themselves

As a UNISON member I recently requested advice from themselves regarding getting a large overpayment on tax back from HMRC. I did this as I was getting nowhere with HMRC. I now find out that UNISON passed my details to an outside company without my knowledge which are demanding 40% of my tax repayment as a fee. Is this legal?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Are you asking if the passing of data or the 40% is legal please?
Customer:

Both.

Alex Watts : Passing your data can only be done with your consent.
Alex Watts : This might be they asked you or it may be in their terms and conditions of membership so you should check.
Alex Watts : If you did not consent it would be a breach of the data protection act.
Alex Watts : You could complain to the Information Commissioner at www.ico,gov.uk
Alex Watts : As for the fee they can only charge this if you agreed to the fee.
Alex Watts : This would either be agreed orally or by signing further terms and conditions with the third party company stating they would be entitled to 40%
Alex Watts : If you signed no terms then you don't have to pay the fee.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

No. Thankk youy very much

Customer:

No thanks. very much for your help.