75100385

My house electricity been cut off by my landlord for over 10

My house electricity been cut off by my landlord for over 10 days now. And I am moving out in two days time. He has also been harassing me for the last two months.

A bit background first.

I have been living there for a whole year before this happen. I paid my rent and bill always on time. The landlord has been slow on everything, repair work took two months (twice) but since the beginning of this year. Many people show up at the door step looking for him, I asked one of them the reason. And it turned out that they are his tenant in other properties, and he fail to carry out any repair work. Call and never answer. And I start to suspect this guy might be in all kinds of trouble. When my first year contract finish, I wanted to stay for another 6 months. So I inform him about that. He said its fine. But I insist on issue a new lease.

I have my good reason, 1. When it moved it the lease stay that the monthly rent is £900. Because I was supposed to share with a friend. But he didn't move it and I took the whole flat myself, and there is a reduce rate of £850. I have been paying this amount for a whole year. And I want the new lease to use that figure. 2. He has not put down his own address on the lease (which I believe it was illegal). 3. The lease didn't have any reference to the government deposit protection scheme. Because I believe he is in a lot of trouble. And I want to make sure my deposit is protected. This is why I made this request.

I asked him about that 3 times, and he keep saying he was going to do it. But didn't. So I stop paying rent, and insist that must be done. Or I move out immediate, he is using that delay tactic again. Then he send me a hand written utility bill, which I have been insist that must come with a copy of the original bill from British Gas. Long story short, I got the bill, but 3 days later my electricity was cut.

There are so many incidents (like I got him on video that he gain entry to the house without my permission) one time he was screaming, banging the door and start kicking the door, and I had to call the police (but the police didn't care, the PC even said to me he can do whatever he wants because it's his house)

Lastly, all bill have been settle. Now he is the one who owe me the deposit.

But I want to take him to the court for the stress and the lost of use of the house (due to the power bening cut, that in fact, affect my business greatly) can I still sue him?

I have record of the text. Two video of him being aggressive, and enter the house without permission, I have video that show no power, witness and picture to show that the house has not power.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What type of tenancy do you have? Was the deposit protected please?

Customer:

Not sure what type of tenancy, it just a standard private tenancy I guess. But the tenancy agreement didn't stay anything regarding protection. Normally there should be a number that I could call. But there isn't.

Alex Watts :

I assume this is a private property and not a commercial property?

Customer:

It is a private property.

Alex Watts :

You need to inform the Council asap.

Alex Watts :

This is illegal

Alex Watts :

The Landlord has no power whatsoever to turn off the electric

Alex Watts :

He is in breach of his agreement with you.

Alex Watts :

If he wants you out he needs a Court order

Alex Watts :

He can't switch off the electric, you must inform the Council

Alex Watts :

Or you can seek an injunction to make him switch it on

Alex Watts :

The Council option is better as it is free

Customer:

I have already done that. The council couldn't do anything for me. Just yesterday the landlord come around again and kicking the door. I call the police immediately, and guess what the police said "its his property, he can do what ever he wants". I will complaint to the IPC later.

Alex Watts :

In any event he must give you details of the deposit scheme or you can claim x3 the deposit back

Alex Watts :

The Police are wrong

Alex Watts :

He can't just come round and kick the door

Alex Watts :

You need to make another complaint

Alex Watts :

This is illegal conduct

Customer:

I know, I understand the law quite well. I need to know at this point is - how do I take him to court for the things he did.

Alex Watts :

You should see someone from Citizens Advice tomorrow who can help with an urgent application to Court for an injunction

Alex Watts :

His conduct is not acceptable

Alex Watts :

This is harassment

Alex Watts :

And unlawful conduct towards a tenant

Alex Watts :

Yes you can take him to Court and CAB will help with that

Alex Watts :

But the most pressing matter is the electricity

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this today please?

Customer:

well, the thing is, I am moving out. Because this problem drag on and it affects my business. I am a IT consultant working for some of the best known company. I also have my own staff in China. I conduct online meeting with them daily. But during the power cut (still not restore) I can not do anything, that is potentially lead to lost of productivity. But its really hard to prove in court.

Customer:

I would like to know, which court should I go to? For this type of case.

Alex Watts :

County Court

Alex Watts :

Your local one

Alex Watts :

https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

I understand I should hire a laywer for this matter.

Customer:

anyone you could recommend?

Alex Watts :

I am not allowed to recommend anyone, against rules

Alex Watts :

But go to:

Alex Watts :

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Alex Watts :

You can search local Solicitors who speciaise in Housing Law

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

that's fine. Thank you, ***** *****

Alex Watts :

Great.

Alex Watts :

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you leave today

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience