12826847

Good morning, I was arrested nearly 6 years ago for shoplifting

Customer Question

Good morning,
I was arrested nearly 6 years ago for shoplifting in London. I didn't attend the hearing dates, and last time I called to check what was happening they said there was a warrant issued. Because I live abroad, I was wondering when I enter the country will I be arrested ?

Thank yoi

There is a chance that you could be. That is what should be happening. Whether it will or not is entirely another matter. People subject to warrants pass through passport control all the time. We don't really know how they do it but it gives rise to the inference that security is lax and communication is poor. Generally the older the warrant and the less serious the offence the greater the chance it will be missed.

But it is possible that you could be and, in any event, in the uk you should be picked up as soon as you come to police attention although you could always surrender on the warrant and resolve it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I just want to know what I could do to avoid this. I mean my son is there right now and I want to go to see him over there. I am thin kin about going there this week. Please can you help me resolve this situation as I don't know what to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And I also want to know that because it has been such a long time that the warrant had been issued, will the warrant be still there? Isn't there anyway they would just delete it because it wasn't for a serious crime maybe they wouldn't want to waste time with that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still waiting for your response plese
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded.

There is no way of avoiding this. There is a warrant for your arrest and so therefore a risk that you will be picked up at the airport.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I find out if there is a warrant please?
I thought you had checked and there was one?

Do you know which court you were due before?

I'm happy to continue with this but please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes sure, it was Westminster magistrate court. I will be more than greatfull if you could continue with this.
I will leave a feedback right now.
You can always call the Court and ask

If you mean City of Westminster though, the old Horseferry Road, then that has been demolished.

The only other option is to call city police at Snow Hill and ask.

Or you could get a solicitor to do it for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible that you could do it for me please for an additional charge?
I'm not allowed to do that under the rules of this site I'm afraid.