75100385

To whom it may concern,I lent money to a Tunisian man living

To whom it may concern, I lent money to a Tunisian man living in Dubai, R1,250 million, at the beginning of the year, by the end of the year, he will owe me R4 million. Not only did I lend him the money, he then proceeded to send me the most disgusting emails, threaten me, put my name all over LinkedIn, which affected my business. How do I not only have the money returned to me, but also a public apology. He says he is under the protection of the police chief in Dubai?? Kind regards, ***** *****

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Where are you based please?

Customer: Hi Alex,
Customer: hi Alex, I am based in London for a year, visiting my son, and sisters, kind regards, ***** *****
Alex Watts :

Had you ever met him?

Customer: Yes, the year before at The World Tax Free in Cannes. He had been working for Loewe for 14 years, I have been in cosmetics forever, and I trusted him,
Alex Watts :

Ok - its bad news from a UK point of view

Alex Watts :

UK Judgments are not recognised in the UAE

Alex Watts :

This means you have to sue over there.

Alex Watts :

Now as an English Solicitor I can't tell you what the process or procedure is

Alex Watts :

Save that you would probably need to instruct lawyers in the UAE which you have done

Alex Watts :

If this was a UK based claim then a claim would be issued, the person could defend it and if they did not you could get Judgment and enforce

Alex Watts :

If the claim was defended it is set down for a hearing

Alex Watts :

I assume there is something similar in the UAE but I can't be sure as its not my legal system, only the UK is

Alex Watts :

So if you have engaged lawyers in the UAE you need to follow their advice, but sadly that is all I can offer you as a UK lawyer.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: The claim was not defended, instead he sent me the most appalling emails, with the most appalling language.
Customer: nothimg has yet been done, Sylvia
Alex Watts :

Yes I understand.

Alex Watts :

If they were in the UK you could take it to the Police who could investigate and prosecute.

Alex Watts :

But sadly this person is abroad and he is unlikely to be extradited to the UK for sending appalling emails.

Alex Watts :

Its difficult because this person is in the UAE, your options are very limited

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you please?

Customer: Yes please, how do I get the money back??
Alex Watts :

Sadly I can only advise you on UK law.

Alex Watts :

You need to instruct lawyers in the UAE to sue this man

Alex Watts :

I outlined the UK process but as a UK lawyer I don't know what the process is in UAE

Alex Watts :

I can only assume it is similar

Alex Watts :

Once you have Judgment then I assume like the UK it can be enforced, so charge on property, send in bailiffs, freeze bank account etc

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Thank you, yes.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my service before you go

Alex Watts :

Please remember you are rating the UK portion of my answer.

Alex Watts :

If the system wont allow you to do so please say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply