Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I put my two properties in trust to my partner but cant find

Customer Question

I put my two properties in trust to my partner but can't find any documentation. My solicitor went bankrupt. How can I get a copy of the trust deed (if that is what it is called)
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
So that I can answer you fully, could you please clarify if the legal ownership of the 2 properties is still held by you or was the ownership transferred to your partner?
If the former, which I am guessing is what has happened, you are correct that you would have prepared a Trust Deed, stipulating that although the legal ownership of the properties remain in your name, that you hold the properties on trust for your partner.
As regards ***** ***** could you possibly let me have the name of the firm of Solicitors he worked at or if he was a one man band, his name?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it was Michaels & co in or near Rochester in Kent. For at least one of them. However all my paperwork is in the Uk and I am abroad now. Am trying to find a list of all registered (current and dissolved) from companies house but am not having much luck.thanks
Ros
Hi Ros,
Thanks for your reply.
Let me look into matters for you and will come back to you in a few minutes time.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ros,
I have done some research for you.
There is a "Michaels & Co" still trading, details below, but not doubt that this if this is the person you are looking for-
Martin Michaels
Solicitor | Admitted as a solicitor: 15/06/84
Sole Practitioner at:Michaels & Co
1 Churchwood Gardens,
Woodford Green,
IG8 0PL
Tel:0203(###) ###-####
I have done some research and have been unable to find any firm called "Michaels & Co" having been closed/Solicitor made bankrupt.
Please note that most Solicitors firms are not limited Companies, and hence why you have probably not found anything on Companies House.
However, not all is lost. Whenever a Solicitor is made bankrupt or his firm closes, it is dealt with by the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority). Usually, another local Solicitors Firm will be appointed to take over any existing clients files and their Wills/Deeds.
You therefore need to contact the SRA if you are outstanding any documents.
Their contact number is *****(###) ###-####and their website also gives some handy tips for clients on what to do if a Solicitor's Firm has been closed or intervened-
www.sra.org.uk/help/
I hope this assists and answers your question as best I can.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. Will contact them

Thanks Ros.
If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will reserch SRA (otherwise have to wait until my partner goes to the UK to find solicitors details as they were def in Kent, then provide feedback if thats OK

Hi Ros,
Your question remains live only for 5 days and then manually closes, so I would be grateful if you could leave feedback now.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Trouble is I don't know helpful your advice has been until I speak to the SRA as my particular question is not on their website. Will phone them tomorrow.

Obviously having paid for this service I have to make the decision that although you've been very helpful, I still have no definite answers on how to go forwards.

I'm sure I found them some time ago (when I couldn't remember their name) on a long list of companies, but don't know who provided that.

R

Hi Ros,
Fair enough.
If you could confirm the correct name of the Firm, I could assist further.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats what I'm trying to find out without waiting till I go back to the UK. Will phone SRA tomorrow and try and think of other options

R

OK.
Kind Regards
AL