Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

On 21st June I made a reservation through booking.com for a

On 21st June I made a reservation through booking.com for a 3 night stay at Best Western Falstaff hotel in Leamington Spa starting 28th July costing £180. Following day an e-mail from booking.com said 2 reservations had been made both with different reservation numbers for the same date. I was asked to ring them which I did. I expected them to cancel one as this was due to an accidental double booking error.
On 24th June bank statement showed charges for both reservations £360. Booking .com contacted the hotel but they where told that there is no refund cancellation and they could not make an exception.
25th June spoke to booking .com again said I was not happy with this they said they would e-mail the manager of the hotel explain the situation of the double booking and felt a favourable solution could be reached. 27th June rang booking.com manager not responded to therwe e-mails and unavailable when rang. We told booking .com to cancel both reservations and we would seek legal advice.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

The suggestion seems to be that you made two reservations hence the two booking numbers or are you saying that it was entirely their mistake?

Customer:

We wanted to make one reservation, we do not know how we where given two reservation numbers but both had the same pin code

Customer:

Am here ready to chat

Alex Hughes :

Where a genuine mistake has been made regarding the booking then, as a matter of contract law, that booking can be cancelled and a refund made. But what you can't do is cancel both bookings. One was made by mistake, therefore, you are entitled to cancel that one and seek a full refund. Cancelling both is going beyond the scope of the allowances made by law.

Customer:

We made one booking received two reservation numbers we are seeking refund on the additional reservation they gave us

Alex Hughes :

If booking.com has made that mistake then you are entitled to cancel the second booking and obtain a full refund. The genuine booking cancellation will result in the loss of deposit. If they refuse to refund the mistaken booking you can commence legal proceedings to recover the same or if the booking was made using a credit card you can ask the credit card company to refund you under s.75 Consumer Credit Act 1974.