Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hello, my parish council are obstructing me from viewing public

Hello, my parish council are obstructing me from viewing public documents held by them. I understand that their action may amount to a breach of s228 of the Local Government Act 1972. Is it possible to apply to the court for a remedy, and if so, which court please (county court or magistrates court)? Thank you.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What documents do you wish to view?

Customer:

Hello, I wish to view meeting minutes.

Alex Hughes :

s.228(7) of the Act states that obstruction or refusal to inspection of documents is a summary offence. Therefore, the complaint should be made to a Magistrates Court which deals with summary offences. On conviction the person obstructing or refusing inspection can be fined.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.